June 12, 2009

Don't You Know - Young Scolla

I've been on this Detroit hip-hop/rap kick lately, especially with everyone releasing mixtapes this summer. So there's this guy by the name of Young Scolla, who I discovered through Twitter. Actually I had heard of him before because of the group he's affiliated with, USR. Anyway, he's releasing SEVERAL things in the upcoming months and is working on putting together a BIG three day event in the city of Detroit. His promo tape The TPT Experience drops next Friday and I figured now was the perfect time for you to get to know Scolla and what he's all about.


Name: Young Scolla
Role: Rapper

Alex Washington (AW): What makes you different from other Detroit rappers?

Young Scolla (YS): I'm different because I'm me. I know that sounds funny but what I mean by that, is that I don't try to convey anything else other than my own personal story and that of the environments I've been in. My life story is completely different than any others, so I feel like the fact that I speak on that separates me from others; not to mention I sing/rap/produce.

AW: What is The TPT Experience?

YS: The TPT Experience is just that, an experience. It began as a way to promote the album (The Perfection Theory) which will be coming soon. I planned on doing a track a week, which I did for a few weeks, before deciding that I'd compile the songs I recorded as a promo mixtape. I began creating more original music and that brings us to what it is today, The TPT Experience.
My hope is bring people geniune music, that they can identify with and generate more interest in my music. This mixtape is not even a shadow of what I'm working on with "Prelude To Perfection" [mixtape] and "The Perfection Theory" [album].

AW: Dream collaboration, who and why?




YS: my dream collaboration would be comprised of: myself, Jay-Z, Musiq Soulchild, Jean Grae & Lauren Hill. Jay-Z is one of my biggest Inspirations. Musiq Soulchild is the pure soul R&B and I'm a big R&B junkie!
Jean Grae & Lauren are, in my opinion, the two best female artists in the game. Jean should be more accredited for what she brings to the table she is a beast as a song writer/emcee. Lauren...not much that I can say about her...she's the truth! With a production by The Justice league, The Xtraordinary Gentlemen (my production team) and Rick Rubin. Odd combo, but it'd be a crazy record.

AW: What's next for Young Scolla?
YS: The sky's the limit. I'm currently working on putting together a promotion tour, so after The Experience drops I'll be doing alot of traveling. I'm also gonna begin working on the pre-album, "Prelude To Perfection which will be executive produced by my production team, The Xtraordinary Gentlemen, and Portland producer Dekk, of Spread Music. Also catching up on alot the collaborations I've gotten behind on and executing a couple big events I have planned for the city (Detroit).


AW: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
YS: By God's will I'll see myself in the position to be able to get my music to millions and be on a respectable level with my peers. I see my self happy and accomplished. In a position where I can make things great for my family and the team around me; and put my city back in the spotlight.

------------------------------------------------------------

Still not sure about him? Well luckily for you, Scolla sent me a sample of what you can expect from him.
So here's Young Scolla feat K-Bunz "Don't Do It" off of The TPT Experience



Want More of Young Scolla?
Follow him on Twitter: http://twitter.com/youngscolla
Or check is blog: http://scollasword.blogspot.com
or Myspace: http://myspace.com/youngscollausr

No comments:

Post a Comment