June 23, 2009

Birds of a Feather - Phish: Juan Neal

Over the past few days, Juan Neal has been identified as either one of two things: a bitter/disgruntled employee, or a man who truly cares about the people more than the product. For those who do not know or have not been paying attention he was the blogger over at Fli Pelican until he quit sometime last week after discovering some unflattering things about the Pelicans. Juan has agreed to speak exclusively to me in regards to this situation. As I've said before his interview is the first in a series of interviews including another from a former Pelican, annoyed customers, and what some of your favorite people are saying. I have e-mailed Nino in an effort to at least get a statement from him, so far that has been unsuccessful. So without further adieu, interview one of Birds of a Feather: What's happening with Fli Pelican, Juan Neal.

Name: Juan Neal
Role: Former Blogger for Fli Pelican Clothing.

Alex Washington (AW): Let's jump right in it, why did you quit Fli Pelican?

Juan Neal (JN): The main reason I quit Fli Pelican, it wasn't all personal for me. I quit due to the bad business that was going on. A lot of it was forwarded on to me; a lot of people haven't been getting their clothes for one month to five months since they placed the order. I had a date set to tell them their clothes would be there and their clothes wouldn't make it. Now they're contacting me and I have to let them know that I don't work for Fli Pelican. It's bad business that a company for the people is doing poor customer serivce.

AW: You mentioned something about "bad business," care to explain?

JN: Personal nature, I was never compensated for my work. You never want to be full of yourself and take claim for a business growth. I did think that I had a stake in Fli Pelican being known, not just in Michigan but throughout the US. A lot of people don't understand the power of a blog; having a dope picture and good literature is just as effective as a billboard. Though the blog was viewed as what Fli Pelican liked, it was through me. To not be compensated at all for my hard work, was like another form of bad business. At the end of the day he was getting everything and I wasn't getting nothing in return. People thought I was living a luxurious life, like I was getting money and free clothes. I did get the 12 megapixel camera for my birthday but that was asked to be returned after I quit. But yesterday he, well Nino, called and said that I could keep it. I think if I hadn't taken the actions that I had with the blog, he'd still be asking for it.

AW: Some people would say you are being bitter about the situation. How do you feel about that claim?

JN: Luckily a lot of poeple are suporting me right now. You would think I was being bitter, but a lot of people have come out of the woodworks saying they still haven't gotten their clothes yet. Really, my semi-movement was more for the people than anything. What Fli Pelican seems to not understand is that these people look up to us. At the end of the day the people weren't mad they didn't get their clothes, they were disappointed. Disappointed and mad are two different words. With disappointment you're more so sad than you are angry. If you didn't get your clothes in a month, you're going to be disappointed because you look at us like a big brother or cousin. You'll be waiting by the door on your clothes and never get them. It isn't a bitter thing because there are a lot more things I could be saying. It's exposing to the public that this ddude is doing bold business. A lot of allegations that were made by others in the past, those people had those claims right. I didn't want to have no part of it, there are certain people I called on my behalf to apologize because I felt I took sides or whatever; but my eyes are now open and I'm seeing it for what it is.

AW: You posted a picture of a clip art photo that resembles the Fli Pelican logo, dismissing Nino's claim he drew it himself. How did you find this out?



JN: I have a young boy, kind of like a lil' brother. I took him under my wing while he was trying to join the company [Fli Pelican]. He was looking for more exotic pelicans for some designs. He was trying to hone his skills before he goes away to school, so he searched for cartoon pelicans and the Andre Adams pelican popped up. I thought he was joking at first, then I actually saw the logo. As I did research, I noticed that there were more logos that were either stolen from other clothing line companies or were clip art. When I saw the Detroit Pistons Misfits shirt I really didn't want to promote it because it's a copyrighted design and Fli Pelican could've received a cease and desist order. When you're loyal to a company, you don't want to put that out there. But when you're doing bold business to these people, the customers, it was kind of like I had to air him out, like ether. The one thing I can say about my Detroit people is they don't like bold business. They don't like when people try to do people wrong and one thing we will do is air you out. period. I felt it was my duty to air him out. There is no anger intended and in the end it's only business.

AW: You have a lot of support coming from a lot of people, why do you think that is?


JN: You don't owe this man anything and it's like people were afraid to speak up to him. They were re afraid to speak up to him as a business partner. What people didn't know, if you didn't get your clothing you can always file a claim with PayPal. He'll either have to send you your clothes or your money. We respect those who respect us and when that respect is lost, there's no getting it back. It's terrible it had to come to this, if everything was done right and business was done right, then I would probably be sounding like a madman. I'm just a person speaking the truth and everyone is gravitating towards that.


AW: So what's up with Fli Pelican Detroit?

JN: When I was in Fli Pelican Detroit, me and Chelcea were the only members of Fli Pelican Clothing Detroit. After me and Chelcea quit, I know there currently aren't any members in Fli Pelican Detroit. From my history and my knowlegde, she quit for the same reasons I did. I wish her all the luck I plan on doing some business ventures with her because she is good at what she does.
**Alex's note: I will be doing an interview with Chelcea soon, keep an eye out for that**

AW: Have you or will you talk to Nino?

JN: There is nothing more for me and him to discuss. Prior to me exiting the company I sent him an e-mail saying what I needed from the company and though he said he would meet my needs, right after the e-mail was read and we reached an agreement, things went back to the way they were. There's no point in talking to him now because we'd have a false friendship and in the end neither of us would probably want to talk to each other in the first place.

AW: So you started your own blog, tell me about it.

JN: This is actually a temporary blog. I don't know if a lot of people understand that, I want to make this blog more personal. I wanted to put my name on it and Juan the Blogger was all I could think of at the time. It picks up where it left off [with blogging for Fli Pelican]. Everyone knows I'm a huge sneakerhead, but nobody gets why sneakerheads love sneakers. I try to put seakers that are minority to the world and I still like to put my personal take on things like the donte stallwroth matter, Jay-Z still having a hold on fashion, things of the comedy nature, as well as dope art. I try to make the blog as broad as possible. Many peope come to the blog I don't want them think it's one sided, it's art, it's skateboarding as well as other genres of music, advice, everything all rolled up in one, I'm trying to be versatile. Some of my favorite artist are James Grady and Marlo Broughton, those guys put out dope art. Whether it be on clothing or canvas, I definitely feel the need to post it. I used to be very deep into art and to know those real life artists and be able to call them and see their work come to life is great. James Grady is actually helping with the art for my permanent blog. The art James Grady is doing for me will be put on stickers and buttons and stuff; it won't JUST be posted on the blog. It'll be something like an accessory?

AW: Are we to expect a Juan Neal line or something like it?

JN: I don't really think the world of fashion will let me in it. As far as being a consultant, a couple of up-and-coming clothing lines have reached out to me to find out how I got the name of Fli Pelican out and if I can help them. For now, I'm being more of an consultant. I do have ideas as far as fashion, but I think I'll use those for myself. I don't want to bore people with my fashion line, plus I don't think anyone would wear my clothes.

AW: Back to the blog, you said that the blog you have now is temporary, will the permanent blog be any different?

JN: The permanent blog won't really be any different. I'll be bringing two bloggers with me, one being Trae Rogers of Faded Entertainment and Stephon aka Buzz they'll be putting their own take on things. With Faded Ent. they will probably post a lot of their own music and stuff. Buzz is still in high school, so he'll be providing that aspect of things. We all have our own style, the blog would be more broad than ever. It won't necessarily be different, I'll be able to get to the people faster than I am right now. It won't be any different, it'll just be different and bigger.

AW: I personally have been wondering this for a while, how do you do 20-30 posts in an hour?

JN: I absolutely love what I do, I guess it's just a passion for it. You already have these ideas of what you want to do and want to say. I go to different individual blogs and sites, that I like, I go through and get the pictures and by the blessings of god I type fast. I individually do every post and sometimes it's 20 posts in a day sometimes it's 30, but those posts are done in 1 hour to 2 hours. To give people time to read it, I have it posted on a timer. But I usually know what I want to post and I just go for it. I'm quick on my feet.

AW: Ok, what do you have to say for the people that remain loyal to Fli Pelican?

JN: Go ahead. Period.

AW: What do you have to say for those who are following this semi-movement of yours?
JN: It's pretty inspirational for people to know what I went through, still probably be a fan of the clothing line and support what I do. The blog is just opinions and for people to hold my opinon in such a high standard and continue supporting me is cool.

AW: Any Final Words?

JN: Thanks to everyone that has suported me and my transistion to my new blog. It really means a lot. It means that the people, my Detroit People, my Michigan people, and people in other states really support me and I gues they like what I post. In the end, nothing that I do is personal, it's all business, and those who don't like it can email me at Juantheblogger @gmail. com those who support me keep coming to the blog. I hope I only get better with time and hopefully people will still support me when the permanent blog is up.

2 comments:

  1. Dope interview Alex and Juan!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great interview thanks for keepin it 100 and strickly business

    ReplyDelete