May 25, 2009

Music Monday: Electrik Red

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls we have yet another R&B girl group trying to find their place in this crazy industry, Electrik Red.
Like I said in a previous post, I first heard of them when they were the openers for Ne-Yo's "Year of the Gentleman" tour featuring Jazmine Sullivan and Musiq Soulchild. I remember Musiq was hyping them up on the radio and when I got to the concert I wasn't impressed. But being who I am, I had to give them a chance anyway and slowly (like AOL Dial-Up slow) they have grown on me ( a lil' bit.)
Their first album "How to Be a Lady: Vol. 1" is set to be released tomorrow, and you know I had to give you my 2 - 3 cents on it.

I found it ironic that their album ended up following The Dream's in my iTunes library, seeing as he and Tricky are the producers of the entire thing and it definitely shows. I don't care who you are, if you're just a commercial music listener or a professional music dissector, you can always tell a producers sound (you mean to tell me you wouldn't know a Neptune sound if you heard it?) and it shows. Their album is very much like The Dream's Love v. Money with the techno/808/futuristic/rave/electronic sounds.
For a R&B group it is a weird approach to do the ENTIRE album that way, even the slower songs are fast because of the sounds.
Content?
The buzz/first single "So Good," isn't my favorite and is actually one of my least favorites on their album, but it shows they have potential. I guess I should state the obvious and say their album's theme is on how to be a lady. Ok it's about catering to your man and picking a good one, through songs like "P is for Power," "Freak Freaky" and "Devotion."
Results: ♫♫♪ out of 5
If The Dream were a girl he'd be Electrik Red. "How to Be a Lady" is very comparable to Love v. Money, almost too close, BUT their beats are sick, they have good club songs, but for a R&B group I expected more.
"How to Be a Lady: Vol. 1" will be available on iTunes tomorrow, if you want to get a sample of what they sound out, check out last week's "Yay or Nay: P is for Power"

No comments:

Post a Comment