May 21, 2009

Game Over - Lil' Flip


CW has officially cancelled one of the few black sitcoms on television. "The Game" will NOT be returning to the network this fall and apparently hasn't been picked up by BET either.
I have been a fan of this show since day one, and I must say I'm quite sad to see it go. Black sitcoms are something that is missing in television. Think about, how many shows on major networks can you name that have Black lead actors? For that matter, any MINORITY lead actors? (The first and only that comes to my mind is Ugly Betty).
It was rumored early yesterday, but it wasn't until one of the lead actresses ,Tia Mowry, announced on Twitter (get hip to it) that she had officially gotten the news the show was cancelled.
It is OFFICIAL that THE GAME has been cancelled:( Just got the call from Mara[Brock Akil]! I am sad to bring this news!
It also looks like BET will not be picking us up either. I did not get any news on that, which makes me think that is dead too.
Again, I just want to thank all THE GAME fans for everything!!!! You all rock!

What I love with what "The Game" did, was that they didn't end their last show in a cliffhanger (I hate those, remember how Moesha ended with us wondering who was pregnant??). This show was well written, had good actors, and a pretty good story line, so why cancel it?
When Girlfriends ended, I wasn't too upset because it was time (the story line starting getting really dumb to me, lo siento) but The Game? It just started peaking in popularity this year with BET picking it up, so why cancel it at it's peak?
Also, Why the flip isn't BET, BLACK Entertainment TELEVISION, picking it up? All the uber lame and wack shows they give us month after month they could use a show with some substance.
I blame Bob Johnson for selling out BET to Viacom -I believe- which controls MTV and VH1. ( that explains why all the shows are the same with minority changes).
I personally believe if CW promoted The Game as much as they have Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, or America's Next Top Model, then the show would still be on. Actually CW moved The Game from the slot it had originally on Monday nights to make way FOR Gossip Girl. Moving the show to Friday was indeed the wrong choice, between Friday night specials and people not being home, it was bound to end this way.
Concrete Loop reported yesterday that another CW fave, Everybody Hates Chris, wouldn't be returning in the fall either.
I can't help but wonder what they could possibly put in place of these two shows...

No comments:

Post a Comment