March 9, 2010

Ready to Die - Notorious B.I.G.

Today marks the 13th anniversary of the death of one of hip-hop's most notorious MC's, Christopher Wallace aka Biggie Smalls aka Notorious B.I.G.

We all know B.I.G.'s story and the kind of mark he left on the industry with frenemy Tupac Shakur.

What I have always found interesting about Biggie is the fact that I have more fingers on my hand than he does albums, yet he is always put in the same lane as Tupac and somewhat worshipped by many.

Why?

He never won a Grammy and only managed to crank out TWO studio albums while alive and did not have 10 years worth of unfinished material, so what makes him so appealing?

For me, his honesty. This may sound completely stupid, but I feel like everything he was saying in his lines was the truth, no sugar coating it (not saying 'Pac lied, I can feel the heat from some of you already). 'Ready to Die' was one of those albums that you could either relate to because you knew someone like him or you could paint a vivid picture of what was going on with each track. I still wonder if Biggie knew the effect that he would have on life, after death.

Damn right I like the life I live, 'cuz it went from negative to positive...




R.I.P: Christopher Wallace 1972 - 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment