March 7, 2010

Battle Royale: Over - Drake

In all my blogging history ...

That's cheesy, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like what's going on right now. What am I talking about? Drake released his first official non-So Far Gone, non-Young Money, single "Over" on March 4th ... as in roughly three days ago. Within 24 hours of its release freestyles began to pop up. One by one, rappers took to the beat in hopes of committing lyrical homicide on the Boi-1da produced track. Granted a few rappers have gone in on the "Lemonade" beat (which I still haven't heard the "original" and at this point I don't know if I want to), but no one cared to do it within three days of the song releasing.
 

It's fair to say Boi-1da is definitely getting more recognition for this beat than Drake is getting for his wordplay on it. Now I'm trying something new here, I'm sure this is not going to happen often (or will it) but with all the freestyles coming out I decided to put them on one post as a Battle. What this means, everyone took on the beat, but they may not all be your favorite, so on my Matrix (red or blue pill) which do you choose?


Diggy Simmons: The Young Run has been making quite a buzz for himself after the release of his mixtape "First Flight" back in December and was among the first to tackle this one.


Noah Jones: This New York bred Californian dropped his album 'The Incinerator' last fall and has done tracks with Crooked I and Nipsey Hu$$le.



Young Slapz: From Detroit and one half of the Skigh High Ent. duo, NGC. He has opened for the likes of Wiz Khalifa and next week will be opening for Travis Porter.


P.L.: This Ann Arborian (yes I make up words this way, but who knows it may be real?) has been dropping freestyles faster than Interscope Records dropped Charles Hamilton, it's only natural he did this one.



Young Scolla: His EP, 'Escaping Reality' just dropped not too long ago and he's currently in the studio working on his next project 'Renaissance Dreams.'


Ro Spit: This MC is a lot more than half of Burn Rubber Sneaker Boutique his hybrid 'The Oh S#!t Project' has a lot of people saying: Oh S#!t, Ro can really Spit (totally stole this from someone on Twitter don't remember who but remember seeing it, don't sue me :-) ). He'll be performing at this year's SXSW (along with the other half of Detroit).


Royce Da 5'9: When I got wind of this one, I can honestly say I was surprised. If you don't know who Royce Da 5'9 is you should probably not be on this blog. Bar Exam 3 is releasing sometime soon and I'm prepared.


Now for the real question, who do you think killed it?



3 comments:

  1. Slaps killed it!~ Ro Did to scolla was dope but my opinion i liked Slapz the most...score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. slapz was tha weakest one smh he got NO BARS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Royce da 5'9 was nice and so was Ro Spit, Ro Spits was real creative #nothangin erbody else was cool except for ole' boy Young Slapz, lik i hardly understood anything he was saying plus he was rapping off beat I just didnt like it but thats just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete