March 24, 2010

Otherside of the Game - Erykah Badu

The DJ is probably one of the most fascinating individuals in the hip-hop world to me. The DJ controls your mood; think about it, how many times have you been to an event and the DJ can't blend well or plays the wrong kind of song and you're on the dancefloor or by the bar looking extra salty? I respect the DJ and I for certain respect the female DJ. It has kind of turned into an impromptu celebration of Women's History Month on Tha 'A' Side; meet Midori a.k.a. DJ Dooski. A  Detroit-bred DJ and hip-hop lover currently attending Northwestern University. If you remember, a while back I posted her documentary on gender and racial politics of hip-hop that featured The Cool Kids, Ro Spit and Big Sean. In an interview with Tha 'A' Side, Dooski speaks on the difference between Chicago and Detroit's hip-hop scene as well as being a female in the industry. Introducing: Midori a.k.a Dooski.

Alex Washington: What is your favorite hip-hop memory?

Dooski: I have a few. One would be going to Rock the Bells for the first time. I've never experienced anything like that day and it was amazing. Minus the fact that I (and my beau at the time) got embarrassed in front of the whole amphitheater due to Method Man's silly antics (trying to holla at me from the stage), I could never imagine a concert more perfect than that one. Secondly, I met Pharaoh Monch at his in-store at Burn Rubber a while ago. I was pretty shy to go up to him and ask for his autograph on his CD in my hand, so he actually came up to me and asked if he could sign my CD for me. When I told him my name, he realized I was part Japanese and told me about how he came up with the name 'Pharaoh Monch.' The Monch came from his friends calling him Monchichi (a Japanese character) because of his hair. Ironically, my mom called me Monchichi when I was little too! Such a sentimental moment with a legendary artist. And third, while taping for the documentary I did, I went to interview my good friend Big Sean at his video shoot for "Getcha Some." Hype Williams was shooting this video. It was an amazing experience to see one of the most legendary video directors at work with one of my friends! All very special moments.

Alex Washington: When did you get into hip-hop? What got you interested?

Dooski: I didn't get into hip hop (that way I am now) until I was in high school, really. I have an older sister who, surprisingly, had good taste in music in the '90s and she would have some cassettes laying around that I would listen to. At night, we would record some hip-hop records from the radio onto cassettes and listen to them on the way to school in the morning. Moms hated it. When CDs were popular, I remember a shift towards Pop and R & B for girls our age. So Backstreet Boys, Nsync, Brandy, Monica, and SWV were popular in our household. Then I remember it shifted back during the Bad Boy era and remixes were really popular. Then in the millennium, hip-hop became more than just music for me. I really began to see it as a all-encompassing way of life. I saw it in fashion, language, mannerisms, style, and art. There is nothing like that connection between you and the culture of hip-hop. There is definitely a feeling of ownership and membership within the culture that is undeniable. That's why I am into hip-hop.

Alex Washington: How did you get into DJ-ing?

Dooski: DJing has always been so interesting to me. Watching music videos on TV, or sneaking in clubs I wasn't supposed to be in, was the only time I was able to see the DJ. The DJ has always been an omniscient, regal, and powerful figure in hip-hop. The DJ controls the show and controls what everyone, in listening distance, is listening to. This, to me, was amazing. I just never saw anyone that looked like me in that position. Specifically, a femaleand a female in hip-hop. When I saw a woman DJing for Dead Prez at Rock the Bells, that's when I knew that this could become reality for me. That DJ was Beverly Bond. I hope I meet her one day so I can tell her this story. But from there, I told my friend and owner of Burn Rubber, Roland Coit, who has been a DJ for years, that this is something I wanted to learn how to do. He was amazing and taught me a lot of the basics I needed to learn. Then from there, a lot of it is jumping in and learning on your own. I saved my money, bought all the equipment I needed to begin and got comfortable and practiced. There is a lot I still need to learn, but playing good music and mixing is my specialty. And I can baby scratch here and there.

Alex Washington: Nearly three years ago you did a documentary on the racial and gender politics of hip-hop, what did you learn from it?


Dooski: I did this documentary as a freshman at Northwestern University. I was taking a class called "Gender and Racial Politics of Hip Hop" and we were able to do anything we wanted to do for our final project. So I gathered a bunch of my hip-hopper-rapper-sneaker-head-friends and interviewed them for this documentary. Asking great questions leads to receiving great answers, and the video turned out great. I learned a lot of interesting things about how hip hop (more so in its mainstream form) is very contradictory, misogynistic, homophobic, and violent. Everything that America is! And hip hop is only a product and reflection of what this country is, and what this country is like for people that make the music. I feel like hip hop gets bashed so much but in reality, it's no different than what America is, essentially. America is the pot calling the kettle black. More importantly, I learned how hip hop has touched so many peopleglobally, and how that effects the artists that make the music. There is something very special about hip hop, and that something is where it came from. No matter where it travels, how it changes, how many people sell out, or how much it is commodified, hip hop will always be special to someone, somewhere. And honestly, hip hop hasn't changed—you just have to look for it in the right places.

Alex Washington: Who are some of your favorite Femcees?

Dooski: I am very picky when it comes to female emcees. But I like Invincible, Miz Korona, Ladybug from Digable Planets, Bahamadia, and Lauryn Hill. I know I am forgetting people, I apologize. Female emcees get much respect from me, I know it is tough being in a male dominated music genre.

Alex Washington: Being a female involved in an aspect of hip-hop, do you think you have to fight more to be heard and not just seen?

Dooski: I don't necessarily have to fight to be heard, and I won't. I think a lot of people are interested in the novelty of a female hip hop DJ because it is so rare. In Europe, there are more female DJs than male DJs! But usually they spin house or techno. So, still, the female hip-hop DJ is rare. I think the bigger issue for me is being noticed for the craft and not just being a girl! And it has happened before! I DJed at a store and they had never heard me DJ, but they wanted me there because I was a girl and they were throwing a party for Married to the Mob (which is a women's clothing line out of New York). It was a cool gig, so I did it, but I'm over it. Really like me for menot just because I am a girl!

Alex Washington: Being from Detroit, but residing near Chicago, how do the two scenes compare, if they compare at all?

Dooski: I would say the hip hop scenes are very different. Detroit's hip hop scene feels a little bit more like family, considering everyone pretty much knows, has met, or looks familiar to one another. That is what I love about the Detroit scene. I would also say Detroit's hip hop scene is a little snobby and elitistbut rightfully so. We enjoy, acknowledge, and appreciate great music; feel good music and we have some of the best hip hop artists to ever do it. Chicago's scene is not as supportive I don't think. Chicago is just a very tough crowd to please. I remember DJing behind Big Sean one time when he was in Chicago for a show he was doing and it was packed! But the crowd just wasn't very responsive. Just, tough. Chicago needs to loosen up! Detroit shows LOVE.

Alex Washington: What is the concept behind your blog (Tumblr)?

Dooski: Stuff I like. That's it really. I wanted something clean, straight to my point, and enjoyable. Reading blogs is one of my favorite things to do. However, I could never find one that was completely relevant to me—and I wasn't. So I decided to make one for myself because I knew I would love everything about it. And I do! I post tons of pictures, music and quotes that I like. More recently, I have been writing more which has been getting great response from my readers. It is usually dating advice, tips, and tricks that I have learned in all my 21 years of life! haha! I know I'm young, but I have a lot to share and an interesting perspective and point of view. I've dated quite a few interesting young men--hopefully I will be able to share the interesting stories that come along with them. For now, I am just posting "Rules" for ladies. The do's and don'ts of dating. 

Alex Washington: Where do you see Detroit hip-hop going in the next year?

Dooski: I hope great places! There is a lot of great talent; pure talent in this city and I hope for nothing but the best for everyone!

Alex Washington: What would you like to see happen to the industry?

Dooski: Well the industry is a war zone right now. I feel bad for anyone signing a deal right now at this very moment. Due to technology, the increase in digital music, and the decrease in record sales, the industry is raping artists with their 360 agreements. Meaning they take profit from record sales, touring, merchandise, endorsements—the whole nine. The industry is definitely not what it used to be; that's for sure. What I am seeing lately is an increase in the use and collection of vinyl records. Digitizing music has desensitized the music listening experience for some people. Now, people want to have a connection and relationship with the music that they listen to and how they listen to it. Actually handling, cleaning, and taking good care of these records has become a novelty. Not to mention the amazing cover art! So older forms of media in music are coming back, which should be interesting.

Want more of Dooski?

No comments:

Post a Comment