February 1, 2010

I'm So Skigh High

Who is Skigh High? A question that many people (especially if you're Facebook friends with any of them) have been wondering for quite some time. Well I sent some questions to M. Dizz, Young Slapz and G. Wood to get some kind of understanding as to who they are and why we should care. They talk about everything from their projects to haters. Also, peep the song they made for my birthday. How cool is that? Introducing, Skigh High.



AW: How did you guys come together to decide you want to do this?


Slapz: We were sitting in Dizz room chillin' and we were listening to some artist who people claim to be the top ten artist in the game (Gucci, Soulja Boy, etc). We figured that we, lyrically, were better than most people, and had better stories on life to tell as well. We love making history so we decided to embark on a journey to bring Detroit hip-hop back. I (Slapz) had never been serious about rapping but I knew I had a slight talent in it that could grow if I put my mind to it. Dizz and G.Wood had tried to make something pop in high school but it never happened the way they planned until now. Long story short, we all had talent, Dizz could produce and rap, and I could rap so we started NGC. We told G.Wood and Lyricz about NGC and how we were about to take this to a serious level and bring Detroit back into hip-hop. They linked up with us and we became a label/entertainment group called Skigh High ENT, NGC is the duo and G.Wood & Lyricz are solo artists, we all work on the projects and mixtape collab together and make the camp grow by working with other artists and putting on for the camp. We did not think it would grow into what it is now in such a short time.

AW: What's the meaning behind the name?
Slapz: We started out as "Skool Boyz Entertainment" but we didn't think that would fly for long since we wouldn't be in school forever but we would be in hip-hop forever, so G.Wood said "Sky High Entertainment" because we headed to the sky/top. M.Dizz said that's too cliche if we use that we have to add our own spin to it so he said "Skigh High Entertainment". Everybody agreed. Thus we created the motto "Skigh High the clique because we're headed to the stars".
AW: Who exactly is in Skigh High?
Slapz: Skigh High has grown a lot; it started with NGC (Young Slapz & M.Dizz), G.Wood and Lyricz, as the founding fathers. We added La'Dell Germaine as an R&B artist, and A.Fresh.Kid (Raphael Worthy) as a graphic designer for our covers, flyers, business worker, etc. Erika Talbert was added as a marketing/street team chair, most ,if not all, marketing ideas have stemmed from her brain. We then wanted to make the group more versatile and make our fan base grow by connecting with different artists, therefore we added D.Rice and C.Wil, and our two newest members Juice & Chell Crowell as a R&B artist. We added Derron "Indefinite" Davis as our youtube.com chairperson, and he is an artist as well. We have Jasmine Christopher, Onetress Robinson, Phillip Talbert, and Randall Williams as the E-Board of the Skigh High Street Team which we are currently taking resumes and applications for. As you can see Skigh High isn't compiled of only artist it goes deeper than that—much deeper. There is a spot for everybody in Skigh High,you wouldn't notice that on the outside looking in, but we are cool on the artist tip as of now. We are currently working with Faris Wright of Self Made L.L.C. to become our manager and take this to the next level. Details for that will be released later….
AW: Skigh High seems to be releasing a lot of projects, have you ever thought you were releasing too many?



Slapz: Well, the only actually project Skigh High ENT has out is NGC's debut project "Skool Boi Chroniklez Vol.1: Class Is In Session". We all write so many songs, and want to be heard and show our skill, wordplay and versatility on tracks that we created "The Air Up There" series. We are currently working on a compilation project with the whole camp on there called
"The Skigh High Project" that is set to release later in 2010. After that expect projects from other artists in the camp as they are working on their solo projects as well. We're sitting on a lot of tracks because we want everything perfect so to hold us over (and the small fan base/audience we do have) we started "The Air Up There". Computer mic recorded, unmixed, unmastered tracks of us going in on commercial beats that people request to hear from us. We drop them every month and will continue until the release of "The Skigh High Project". Some people say they won't listen because it's not mixed or mastered; we're all broke college students we save all studio money for tracks for projects and put these out to show grind, skill and love for hip-hop. So I don't feel we're giving the people too much music or releasing too much music because its just monthly mixtures for us and the people to enjoy, nothing too major (although the series has been doing better than expected).
AW: What's your role in SH?
Slapz: My role in Skigh High is a hip-hop artist/rap partner of NGC. I like to think I'm sort of the secretary since I send out mass texts to the camp about issues, tally votes on certain debates, and collect money, etc for certain expenses/issues. I'm hoping our manager will take over a lot of these duties.

M.Dizz: My rizzy rizzole, naw, I just wanted to be differentmy role in Skigh High is a producer (the ONLY producer for nowwere still recruiting) and also a hip-hop artist/other rap partner of NGC.
G.Wood: My role in Skigh High is a solo artist. Some like to also see me as “Hype Man” which I have accepted. I like to get the crowd rocking, the “FAT GIGH” dancing and what not.
AW: Haters, they exist, you know this. Some people are questioning the credibility and
seriousness of Skigh High. Some say you're doing just to be cool and others have just
straight up dissed you. Does this bother you any bit? How do you address it and how do you plan to continue against it?

Slapz: Honestly I would question a group who just came out of nowhere demanding their music to be heard (as we did) as well. This is definitely not a plot to be cool, we put time, money and countless energy and emotions into this, to just be doing it to be cool or get seen. I'm the hothead of the group so a lot of issues bother me as far as being dissed or not respected for my craft. I sit back and listen to a lot of the things I say in my lyrics and I wonder how could somebody not like it even just a little. It could be a thousand people saying "Slapz I love your song…" if one person says that they don't like it I have to know why so I can get them to rock with it. The thing that separates me from being offended by a negative comment about a song is feedback—don't say I don't like your song I need to know why. If you have no valid reason then I will feel you are just hating on it; when you give me feedback I respect that to the fullest. I address people hating and dissing me by putting out good music. I had a guy say I didn't have bars, I released 3 tracks that he couldn't help but say I had wordplay on. Dissing pisses me off, when I am pissed I write my best songs, so I use them as fuel. I will only get better and eventually be signed to a major label getting the love and respect I deserve, that is how I plan to continue against it. Grind out to the point all the nay-sayers can be proved wrong.
M.Dizz: I dont get mad when I hear the naysayers popping off at the mouth. I look at it as this: Haters are our biggest fans. The fact that they even know who we are, what we do, and what songs we drop shows that we are on the right path. We are getting recognition and we are making moves. Im the mot laid back individual in the group. Im probably the one thats going to handle most of the disputes on a calm level (cant promise too much though). When it comes down to it, as long as the money is good, I dont care what people think. Haters are nothing but a fan club of people afraid to support someone they know.
G.Wood: I never have and never will address anyone who hates my movement. Think of it like a bus, and I'm the driver. If I allow one passenger with not the correct amount of money to hold up the bus to run home and get more money, I am holding up my progression, thus slowing down my forward progress. I dare not slow down my forward progress. So haters get treated like a passenger with no cash, ignored and denied.

AW: What is your favorite song you've recorded so far and why?
Slapz: My favorite song that I've recorded would have to be my solo track "Speechless" its a real raunchy/freaky track, its unique, I had a female ad-lib the words I was saying as if she were talking to me, its dope, going to definitely be a fan favorite. I like that type of stuff, or "Club Fresh" & "Stoopid" those songs get me hype every time I hear them or perform them. Although these are my favorite songs I have recorded it isn't my favorite song from the camp.
M.Dizz: My favorite song that Ive recorded is Super Sonic Flow” featuring KR from Royalty Clique. This song really shows the uniqueness of my music, both lyrically and musically. I sampled a song from the Sega Genesis game 'Sonic the Hedgehog.' I honestly believe I am the first to ever to use that sample and to make an entire song based on video game metaphors. This song is for true gamers—I know, Im a nerd. KR was feeling the track when I sent it to him and Im glad I got the opportunity to work with him.
G.Wood: My favorite song recorded has to be "Off The Wall" (which will be leaked very soon). I was extremely excited while recording that song, and the vibe and energy put in to that song was lively.

AW: What is your biggest problem with the music industry and how do you plan on not contributing to it?
Slapz: The largest problem with the music industry right now, is people don't hold love for it. They hold love for the money it brings, the women it gets you, the cross, the clothes, and the hoes loll. The Lavish life basically. i mean who doesn't want that, but people put out shitty music because they don't care People who are legends put out whatever they want because they have money to live 3+ lives, so what do they care, the people will still love it because their famous and have made their stamp for it. Yes, every artist would like to be famous but they want Respect for what they do before any of that comes in to play, with respect comes fame, which brings about money. I'm grinding to earn my stripes right now and I believe I have been earning them (or taking them lol).
M.Dizz: My biggest problem with the industry is that people who do it for the love of hip-hop dont get respected, financially, as much as those just trying to make a fast buck. I respect the hustle of the money makers, but I feel that those true lyricists (such as Jadakiss, Lupe Fiasco, Mos Def, etc) dont get as much recognition as some of these snap rap artists.
G.Wood: My biggest problem with the music industry is anyone not grindin. I hate how the music these days are not lyrical, and basically bulls#!t, but I RESPECT it. I respect So Icey Ent. Because they get the club hype, and make people emotions rise. I respect Souljaboy because of the grinding he does. Even the New Boys, I pretty much hate what they have bought into the hip hop industry, but I REPSPECT the path they paved for these skinny jean wearing boys. They helped them come out the closet.
I am bringing the lyrics back, the metaphors, the similes, the punch lines, the feel of the listener relating to the artist. I am bringing the original style of hip-hop back. Where people drove down the street and nodded their head, and vibed. I want old heads saying “This Is Hip Hop”.

AW: What did you learn in 2009?

Slapz: I learned a lot, the core things I learned were from RoSpit and PhatBoy Chef who record us and engineer our tracks at "Champion Sound" in Pontiac. You can kind of say they were both "mentors" to me. They taught me how to separate making good music, rather than making tracks, how to build a buzz, and sit on tracks that you already have, & how not to just be another camp rocking the same t-shirt (in the words of PhatBoy Chef), they taught us how to treat this like a business which is why we've actually gotten further in less than a year then camps who've been around going on 4 to 5 years. The list could go in. I came into this game thinking okay I'll make tracks put them out and people will like it because I'm lyrically better than most. That's not true at all. You have to grind out, do shows, promote yourself, build relationships, networking, get feedback both positive and negative. I learned that its a hard path. I wouldn't trade any of the hard word for the world. I figure I grind hard now and live it up later. God has a lot planned for me and I know with him on my side I'm destined for greatness. We made a lot of mistakes dropping them and Dizz first project it was not ready. We had no buzz, people are noticing that the tracks on there were in all actuality good music, they're noticing now, only because we have been getting our name out here. So all the mistakes I learned not to make on the last project will make "The Skigh High Project" excellent.

M.Dizz: I learned so much with Slapz, so Im not going to repeat everything he said. I learned the importance of advertisement. The music industry is not about quality music, its about how well you market yourself. You can be a teenager recording dance songs with ridiculous lyrics in the verse and you can be the most garbage rapper of all timebut if you market yourself well, if you get enough peoples attention, then your chances of success is THAT much greater. Most of what I learned comes from doing this music thing day by day and by listening to, who I look up to as mentors, PhatBoy Chef and Ro Spit. When we are all just sitting in the studio, there is always a time where they come out the blue and drop some knowledge. Theyve been at this for years and they know what they are talking about. Big shout out to them for supporting us since day one.

G.Wood: In 2009 I learned all things with God are possible. Prayer, family, and friends make life happen. Never take something for granted that is nothing but a grant (think about it). I learned through dedication and perseverance is the only way to move forward. In the end, truthfully, all you have is yourself. No one can help you if you are not willing to help yourself.

AW: It's a new year, a new decade, What do you want to accomplish this year and what kind of mark do you want Skigh High to leave on the decade?

Slapz: Skigh High ENT will be the most loved, the most growing, the most dedicated, nod hard-working camp of 2010. We have made so many moves whether people feel they are #powermoves or not and its only January. We will leave a stamp in 2010 as the camp who people slept on and they took over with their grid and passion for hip-hop. As far as myself I hope to have A&Rs watching and looking out for me by Dec 31st, 2010. I'm going to grind so heavy this year that you will not be able to just bypass me.
M.Dizz: I want Skigh High ENT to get the recognition it deserves. I want all the hard work and diligence to pay off. I want to have a feature on every mixtape and every project. I want at least one of my beats on every project released by a local artist. I want my name EVERYWHERE in 2010. When people hear that signature whistle, anvil drop, and hear that adlib (diiiiiiiiizzzz), theyll know who made that beat.who added that bang to the track, which took it that extra mile.
G.Wood: I want to accomplish my main goal of being heard. Point Blank Period. I want to be heard everywhere. I make music for the people, and I want people to feel my music. I want folks in the East to play my music when theyre hype. I want people on the West Coast to play me when theyre high. I want the North to play my music when theyre cold. And I want people in the South to play me when theyre hot. I make music for everyone to vibe to. And I just want to be heard.
As for the mark I want to leave, put it like this, Michigan is re-birthing the game, and Skigh High will be that highly noticeable big ass birth mark on the side of its face.


Download Skigh High's The Air Up There Vol. 3 HERE

6 comments:

  1. Awww how sweet of you guys to make her a bday song. Idk you Alex but it was nice of u to make this blog post for them also. However I just wanna say keep up the good work boys hardwork always pays off and a good beginning makes a good end. luv, Kiara :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. STR8 TO THE TOP FELLAZ....BARS IN THE STARS


    SKIGH HIGH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really good interview! Great questions alex! and great answers guys! Yall sure do talk a lot! lol....but thats good! Gives a more in depth interview! Keep up the work!...More and more moves are made everyday! And yall are getting more support and more respect as every day goes by, because people see all the hard work and dedication you put into making good music! Keep up the work guys! Love ya =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im highly impressed. That was a good interview. Alex you were very professional. Definitely will make a great journalist you are headed to the top. As for my Skigh High fam you already know what it is. Keep up the good work. Get your name out there. Making moves. Skigh High.! Love yall

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent interview, I'm so proud of you guys. Continue to put God first and you will succeed. Keep up the hard work and I promise it will pay off.
    Much Love.........

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the love from alex on down! thanks alot i really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete