February 14, 2010

Drumroll - Kristen Nichole

The buzz around Kristen Nichole has been building a bit for a little while. The runner up of the 2009 South Pole Clothing's Fresh Face model search has been constantly working on making herself a better performer and has finally released her single with JWan of Finally Famous, "Drumroll." But who exactly is Kristen Nichole? In this interview she talks about how she got started singing, who inspires her and what her future goals are.

Alex Washington (AW)
: What got you into singing?

Kristen Nichole (KN): Well I started out singing at my old home church back when I was about six. I was always singing before that but I didn’t remember my first solo until I was there. I was always running around the church singing the praise team’s songs and never noticed anyone listening to me. I guess my choir director sister Debra noticed my voice and forced me to do a solo. My second solo was in the first grade and the same thing happened again. My school choir teacher just picked me out of nowhere and told me I had to do a solo for the Christmas show. I couldn’t even remember if I was supposed to say Santa was from the North or South Pole but I said it right the day of the show, and it was the most exciting feeling—after that I just kept singing. I formed a duo with my friend at church in elementary school but she was so scared the day we had to sing I ended up singing the entire song by myself, a cappella, in front of the church. I just sang my heart out and smiled while she cried next me; I guess I learned early the show must go on.

AW: How would you describe your sound?
KN: Wow it’s so hard to describe my sound because it’s so versatile. I can’t really think of one person I really sound all that much like but if I gave a combination of artists it might be a voice similar to Aaliyah, a swag like Keri Hilson, and a little bit like Teairra Mari, with a vocal range like BeyoncĂ©’s. There’s really no way to pin point my voice that’s why I feel I’m something new. Listening to me on a ballad is even different from me on a hip hop track or a more upbeat song. The best way I can describe my sound is pure. People have told me there’s something about my voice that just sounds pure, no extra vibrato; I’m not forcing it or trying too hard. It’s just a pure well controlled sound, with the ability to evoke emotion. I can change my voice to sound how I want it to, but I believe I’ve discovered “My” sound now. It’s just me, and I’m excited for people to hear it.


AW: Who are some of your musical inspirations and why?



KN: My favorite artists growing up were mainly Christian groups or artists. Out of Eden, Kirk Franklin, Yolanda Adams, Stacie Orrico, J. Moss and our church praise team. They had THE MOST amazing singers and I would try to mimic the way each of them sang. Many of my beginning solos were Yolanda Adams, Stacie Orrico, or Out of Eden tracks. My mainstream inspirations were Aaliyah, Toni Braxton, En Vogue, Michael and Janet Jackson performance wise, and more recently BeyoncĂ© and the Dream. You can hear a lot of En Vogue, Aaliyah or Toni Braxton inspired things in my slower songs. I used Toni Braxton to help broaden my vocal range and hit those lower notes, and En Vogue helped me to sing out. My senior year of high school my girl group 'Harmony' sang En Vogue’s song “Don’t let go” with an a cappella to “Who’s Loving You” in the beginning before the curtains even came up. We won showcase’s best group performance. I used the same song with the a cappella to win Spartan Idol in 2006 when I first came to [Michigan State University]. It was the last song I performed and everybody knew the words and sang along. There’s nothing like that feeling you get when people are really feeling what you’re doing and can sing along.

AW: What do you think you bring to this industry?
KN: I think I bring something new and fresh to this industry, but with an old flare. Something people have really been waiting to listen to. I didn’t just decide randomly one day that I should sing. It’s just what I’ve done for years and I believe God is ordering my steps. Sometimes you just know that something is meant for you. I’ve been picked up multiple times by major record labels wanting a new “girl group,” and have declined each time. Some people never get an opportunity; I’ve had a few already. Patience is a virtue and I’d rather be patient and wait for the right deal than jump quick at the first thing that comes.
AW: What makes you different from other musicians?
KN: I didn’t start out putting my music on wax; I started out performing live and ALWAYS performing live. One of my biggest pet peeves is an artist who sounds excellent on a track all auto tuned up but when you put them in front of an audience they can’t sing live, or they won’t sing for you in general. They only want to “play” you their song. And don’t you dare try to give them some dance moves or the performance is really over. I’m an all around performer. I sing and I dance and I do it live and with a presence. If you can’t keep an audience captivated that’s a problem. I believe I’ve proved myself as a live performer, and now it’s time to share with the world exactly what I can do on a track.
AW: What would be your dream collaboration (production team and artist) and why
KN: There’s so many! If I could collab with Timbaland, that would be amazing. He’s a dope producer and anything he comes out with bangs. He’s different and I like different. I don’t look for the typical tracks that most would think were hot on first listen. I like the different sounds and weird beats that become something great once you put a voice on it. If I could collab with one singer/producer it would be The Dream. I would love to co-write a track with him. I write all my songs but I wouldn’t mind if he wrote and produced the song himself. He actually invented a sound, kind of like rappers do with their songs but he flipped it. Any time I hear a record by someone else, I can tell immediately if he was the person behind it.
AW: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
KN: You can never tell exactly where you will be, but I guess I’d see myself as famous, well off, successful, and happy. I really just want to see where life takes me, and go where the wind blows me. I don’t think in 5 years I will have achieved everything I’m looking for. I have dreams that reach beyond my dreams, so as long as I have life, I have things to accomplish.
AW: What are you plans for 2010?
KN: Well I’m currently in the process of working on my solo project. I can’t release the name of the project yet but it will be self titled, maybe a little something on the end. I’ll be working on getting together performances with my two dancers, I'm always looking for new dancers though, and just working hard in the studio. I plan for it to be mostly complete by June. You might be able to look forward to a few songs with some well known artists from the Detroit area, definitely more songs with JWan, and a couple features.
To download Kristen Nichole's "Drumroll" feat. JWan click HERE.
For More of Kristen Nichole simply check out her site: http://www.kristennichole.com/ which will link you to her Twitter, Facebook and much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment