April 11, 2009

What's Going On? -Marvin Gaye

Hola people.

I said I'd update and I am, but today's topic is personal and sensitive to me.

Yesterday, April 10 aka Good Friday, a shooting occurred at Henry Ford Community College in Dearborn, Michigan. Anthony Powell, a 28-year-old male, shot and killed 20-year-old female, Asia McGowan, in the McKenzie Fine Arts building.
As the story is being told:
No one knows exactly the relationship between Powell and McGowan, as I've heard they were nothing more than classmates. Powell was armed with a shotgun and entered the building McGowan was working on a project. He assaulted her, whether sexually or physically remains unknown, and when she tried to escape he shot and killed her. He then dragged her body into room F-111 before taking his own life.
Police had gotten a call and according to the press conference with the Dearborn Police were already near/in the building when the two shots were fired before discovering the bodies.
And yes my heart goes out to both families. I feel for the Powell family heavily because I'm sure they are trying to figure out where they went wrong and if they could have prevented it in any way.

I attend HFCC and was there yesterday before the shooting. It's a crazy world we live in.
The shooting happened between 12:30 and 12:40, and police completely shut down the school.
I left school at 11 a.m. yesterday after class though I was contemplating on staying to finish a project for my English class. The thing is, finishing that project would have let me be in the Fine Arts building during that time but I changed my mind and decided to do it Monday when I have a break.

The first time I got news of a shooting was through a status update on Facebook and by the time I finished reading that status my phone started going bananas with texts and phone calls.

I may not have been on campus at that moment, but the effect is just the same. All I think is I could have been next to this guy, he could have been in my classes, in the caf. line behind me, and that girl could have been me. I'm sad two lives were lost, but glad that more weren't injured.

It's surreal. Last school year, I wrote a story for CMU's student paper; it was my first cover story and it was a localization of the Northern Illinois University shooting. I remember thinking while doing that story, that nothing like that could happen to a school I went to. A little over a year later, here I am; posting this to you and really understanding and feeling what the students at NIU must have felt.

A lot of people keep asking if I am going back to HFCC, and my answer is of course. For the rest of the semester HFCC is about to be one of the safest places to be.

Not to be rude, disrespectful or anything like that, but people die everyday. Whether it's from an illness like Cancer or someones silliness with a shotgun. If I were to live my life in fear of tomorrow I would never learn to appreciate today and that wouldn't make life worth living. So Monday, I'm going to school with a heavy heart and a clear and focused conscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment