April 20, 2009

Love Story - Big Sean feat. Keely


I never review mixtapes, hardly ever anyway.
But there is so much buzz around Big Sean, I guess I sort of had to, lol. So here's my thoughts on the world's next Big *pun intended* thing from Detroit.

For those who don't know who he is, Big Sean is a rapper from Detroit. Now he's not the average guy rhyming over beats in the basement (do not front like you don't know any.) To make a long story short: After performing for Kanye while he was promoting "Late Registration" at a Detroit radio station; Big Sean was signed to Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music and Island Def Jam.

I'm about to keep it real with you all, I had "Finally Famous: The Mixtape" on my iPod since it's release in the fall of '07, because a friend put it on there. I did not listen to that mixtape until March 3, 2009.

why?

So many people were hyping him up and I thought, man he's probably just like everyone else, catchy with no substance. I put him on the back burner (and with 2,500+ other songs it was easy to get around).
It wasn't until I heard "Smoke and Drive" with Mike Posner like last Nov. that I started thinking I should listen to his stuff and FINALLY got around to listening to it with the release of "A Matter of Time" by Mike Posner and the Brain Trust. (better late than never!)

With an album release around the corner, I'm going to assume I'm not the only one that hasn't heard Big Sean...yet.
"UKnowBigSean" just dropped April 16 and I shall say I actually like it. You can hear how much he has developed as an artist between Finally Famous: The Mixtape and this mixtape.

Maybe it's the catchy "Getcha Some" or the futuristic "Starstruck" feat. Santigold but there's something about his style that is going to make him not just a one-album guy. (I wonder if it's because both Kanye and Pharrell are endorsing him? :-/ )

But he definitely fits into a package/genre. I always do this, but he is in that Kanye/N.E.R.D./Cool Kids uniqueness genre. Like if Kanye West and N.E.R.D. had a baby it would be Big Sean and the Cool Kids are his half-brothers. That's the best way I can describe his sound. lol

Back to this mixtape, there are 30 tracks on this but about 8 are skits and 1 song is a snippet. I'm really feeling "Supa Dupa," "Desire, Want & Need," "Love Story" and "Million Dollars" (*I love "Who Knows?" too but I don't think that counts since I've been listening to it everyday for a month!)

I'm going to need you all to go back to this lil' rapper from St. Louis by the name of Chingy...now think back to Chingy's album Jackpot (I know it's hard but bear with me) what Chingy tried to do with the Vegas sounds and slot machines, Big Sean successfully does on "Billionaire." My only beef with that song is the sounds are louder than his voice on certain parts.

Also, on some songs he does sound like Drake and it's one song in particular that one of his verses his very reminiscent of one of Drake's on the "So Far Gone" mixtape (forgot which one, sue me..no don't really do that, just saying).

But joints like "Paper Chaser" feat. Jay K. and "Iraq" feat. Dusty McFly make you forget all the bad and focus on the talent and good that's there. On "Tomorrow" Big Sean, sounds JUST like "College Dropout" Kanye and I'm going to assume that's a great thing.

Overall, Big Sean is someone to look out for and you should probably listen to it yourself.

Download UKnowBigSean

No comments:

Post a Comment