April 18, 2009

Cooler Than Me - Mike Posner & the Brain Trust

Thursday was the 10th annual Mad Anthony concert at Wayne State University and all I have to say is...

WOW.

That concert was the dopest concert I've ever been to. The headliners were Mike Posner, Big Sean, and N.E.R.D., and that was my first time seeing any of the three perform. The energy from the performers and the crowd was mad crazy.

There was one major FAIL of the night: People were crowd surfing and falling *BTW didn't know Black people (esp. from Detroit) crowd surfed or made mosh pits* Like this one girl went up and when they tried to pass her no one caught her. I almost felt bad for her.

So back to these performers.

Mike Posner (full band is Mike Posner & the Brain Trust) is relatively new, but he has been featured on a few Big Sean joints. If Coldplay and N.E.R.D. were to have a baby it'd be this band. Like the mellowness of Coldplay and the hip-hop-ness of N.E.R.D. Mike Posner IS hip-hop but not a rapper, dig me? I hope that makes as much sense to you all as it did me.

At first his performance was a lil' rocky, but it got better. Him and Big Sean performed "Smoke and Drive" and "Who Knows?" and maybe it was just me, but it was like they were feeding off of each other's energy while they were performing those. It was insane.*Sidebar: quote of the night: Girl: I like Asher Roth too. Guy: He ain't Mike Posner though!*

Speaking of Big Sean, his latest mixtape "UKnowBigSean" was released that same night during his set. His performance was good, too. It was crazy because, there were so many different people there and for the suburbians to be bobbing their heads to him, epic. This one guy standing next to me was like "I don't even listen to rap like that, but f**k it, I'm downloading his s**t."

Then there was N.E.R.D.


I want to marry Pharrell. lol but OMG When N.E.R.D. took the stage that was the most insane, in a good way, performance ever. I seriously suggest if you've never seen them perform you should go. Whether you like their music or not, their performance will make you like them. *I don't understand how you can not like them anyway, The Neptunes? uh yeah*

Let's talk people in attendance. A lot of people I saw there, I've heard of; I guess you can say local celebrities. They're just really good businesspeople and they're all under young.

Like Fli Pelican, y'know "Kill Two Birds with One Pelican?" was holding it down that night, Burn Rubber, Pompous Apparel...and I think everyone should support them all. I have never seen people that hustle or grind as hard as they do, it's bananas.

Do I know them personally? Some.
But real recognize real, and I can see big things happening for all of them.

Like I said, Big Sean dropped his new mixtape UKnowBigSean and overall it's dope, fly, swaggalicious *that's so lame* whatever you wanna call it and I think you should download it from here, or here or here..
There are TOO many places to get this mixtape for you NOT to have it.

Mike Posner & the Brain Trust released their mixtape "A Matter of Time" on iTunes March 1. You NEED to download that one too! My mom is 53 and the only hip-hop she effs with is Tupac and Eminem and if she is humming "Cooler Than Me" and "Evil Woman" you should be too.

That's it for now. Coming Up: UKNowBigSean review.
Later Gators.

2 comments: