August 1, 2009

Cloud 9 - Slum Village feat. Marsha Ambrosius



Detroit as well as the entire hip-hop world are in mourning today as the news broke that Titus Glover, better known as Baatin of Slum Village, had passed away. The news is not only devastating but shocking to many; this is the second member that Slum Village has lost. The first being famed producer, and one of the founding members, James "J. Dilla" Yancey, who lost his battle with lupus in 2006. How exactly Baatin passed away, remains unknown as of now. In 2004, he was diagnosed with schizophrenia, depression, and bipolar disorder and as a result left Slum Village leaving it a duo, T3 and Elzhi. (via mlive) SV recently reunited and the trio filmed the video for their new single "Cloud 9" featuring Marsha Ambrosius (of Floetry fame) last week and are scheduled to release their new album, 'Villa Manifesto', September 22. They were seen performing on this summer's Rock The Bells tour, little was known that these performances would be Baatin's last.

I discovered Slum Village in 2002, "Tainted" was my song of the summer and that was the first time I discovered Detroit Hip Hop. I wasn't as into music then, and for a while 'Trinity' was the only thing I owned by Slum Village, but it didn't matter much to me. One of my personal goals this year was to interview the newly reunited Slum Village, that hasn't changed but it is sad that it will be only two.

I said this on Twitter, I'm not a rapper, producer or DJ, but Slum Village has influenced me and my career so much and I really feel for everyone that is directly hurt by this.
I have gotten asked this, like how can music influence me if I'm not a performer or even in that industry. Well truth be told, the whole reason I got into journalism is because I believe that artists, especially rappers, can only say so much in 16 bars, I want to know more. Slum Village was one of those groups that everything from their beats to their lyrics were amazing but to the average person they were just catchy.

I know a few people who think that Slum Village was just a "Detroit" thing, when in actuality they were global. J. Dilla, T3, Baatin and ELZhi have touched the lives of your favorite musicians, like Common, Dwele, Diddy, Talib Kweli, Busta Rhymes, Erykah Badu and The Roots, as well as contribute to and help shape what is known as neo-soul.

There will be a benefit concert to help Baatin's family with some of the expenses. It's going to be tomorrow, Sunday August 2. at the 5 Elements Gallery on 2125 Michigan Ave. in Downtown Detroit (Corktown) The event is free and will be hosted by Miz Korona and have performances by Sicari, K-Fresh and a few others. Donations will be accepted there as well as through a PayPal account set up by Detroit Renaissance Soul.

PLEASE if you are going to attend the event be mindful and respectful as to why you are there. Yes there will be musicians, producers, and others there, but this is not the time to push your mixtape or project. Honor and respect his family and friends and just be there to cherish Baatin's memory.


Slum Village is the group that taught me that you don't have to be the most popular or have stacks of awards to be great and respected.

Baatin leaves to cherish his memory his son, Michael Majesty Ellis, 9; his daughter, Aura Grace Glover, 1; his parents Howard and Grace Glover; and his sister, Tina Glover, all of Detroit. (via Freep)

Rest in Peace: James 'J. Dilla' Yancey and Titus 'Baatin' Glover, your music and influence will forever live on.

Hugs and Prayers to the families and friends of both and especially to T3 and ELZhi.



No comments:

Post a Comment