August 10, 2009

Music Monday: Slaughterhouse

Lyrical Murders feat. K-Young

When Joe Budden, Crooked I, Royce Da 5'9, and Joell Ortiz announced that they were forming the group Slaughterhouse, I must admit I was really skeptical. Individually these guys are some of the most talented underground (and underrated) artists and often times when you take too much of a good thing it becomes just okay. Well tomorrow, August 11, Slaughterhouse is releasing their self-titled debut album (if you have managed to get a hand on your own copy, chances are it's because your music store released it early.)
It was roughly a year ago that the foursome said they were going to do a project together and throughout the summer they have been steadily recording and working on their album. This summer the slaughterers were one of the headlining acts on the Rock The Bells 2009 tour (which I was lucky enough to go to when it came to Detroit). The one thing I find interesting is that Joe Budden and Royce da 5'9 have managed to put their mini-beef aside to get this product done.
Their first official single "The One" premiered online and got a nice lil' buzz going for them back in July.
In all honesty hearing four voices on every (or almost every) track can get overwhelming, but their skill and wordplay definitely makes up for it.
Despite being a quad there are still featured artists on this record, including: Fatman Scoop, K-Young, and The Royals.
Do I think 'Slaughterhouse' is a pre-party/club banger? not at all. 'Slaughterhouse' is an album that you listen to, not just hear; and songs like "Pray" and "Rain Drops" are nothing short of lyrically mind-blowing to say the least.
Album production? crazy, (the good crazy) but I'm not surprised though. The beats bang indeed. lol. Some of the producers listed are Alchemist, DJ Khalil, and StreetRunner.
Strong verses, great beats, and eh/okay/mediocre hooks make up this album. Though some people deny it, or choose to ignore it, a good hook can make or break some songs. Some may say that lyrically challenged songs are the only ones that need hooks, but actually that's not true. Between the somewhat complex nature of their bars, the fellas of Slaughterhouse could have added a hook on some of their tracks. I don't know how any of you feel about this but at some point my mind needed a break.

RESULT: ♫♫♫♫ (of 5)

'Slaugherhouse' is something that I can see myself working to or just kicking back and listening to. However, I personally need breaks...I can't really listen to the album all the way through in one sitting without becoming overwhelmed. It does seem that Joell , Joe , Royce, and Crooked take a mixtape approach to their album which (to me) means that they clearly could care less about being mainstream. (*sidebar: I'm quite sure they could give two rusty pennies about being mainstream , but there are some artists who say it and are secretly hurt by not being mainstream, feel me?) Plus I don't think mainstream could handle them. Lyrics are dope, beats are fire, I wish this would have come out when it was initially supposed to be released because it would have been the perfect summer album to listen to. There's always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment