August 23, 2010

How We Bullsh*t - Slum Village

Did you know: 
  • 1st Down, comprised of Phat Kat and the late J Dilla, were one of the first Detroit hip-hop acts signed to a major label.
  • Awesome Dre and the Hardcore Committee were the first rap group from Detroit to debut a music video nationally.
  • House Shoes DJ'd at the now legendary St. Andrew's Hall for more than a decade.
  • Speaking of St. Andrew's, while this place is famous for the rap battles and performances that used to happen here, The Rhythm Kitchen and the Hip-Hop Shop were also places where local talent was showcased.
  • Before Burn Rubber, there was Spectacles, which celebrated its 25th anniversary last year.
  • Word around is that Invincible turned down a million dollar record deal and is now an indie artist who works with a youth group Detroit Summer and put together Detroit by Southwest at this year's SXSW festival.
  • Blogs and sites dedicated to Detroit and Michigan hip-hop have been around for at least 10 years (See: TheLoopDetroit.com (formerly rensoul.com) DetroitRap.com and MichiganHipHop.com)
* Edit: Thanks to Mos, break-bread.com and localhiphop.com are two sites that should have mentioned, though they're now defunct, they were some of the originators.
  • Before I knew what a headline or AP Style was, Kelley L. Carter was reporting Detroit hip-hop scene for the Free Press and dream hampton was doing her thing on the national hip-hop front.

I'm not even going to hold my breath and ask how many people in my age group knew any of the things I've just mentioned. A topic that is constantly brought up is the older generation and this new generation and the communication, or lack thereof, between the two groups.
#Pow to James over at DSE @ Grand

My time has been split between the young and old,  events I've gone too have had an abundance of one or the other, never an equal amount of both. Last week, Tuesday to be exact, was the first Bowling Shoes, a monthly event House Shoes is throwing at Garden Bowl in the Majestic Complex. It would have been the perfect opportunity for the young to get familiar and introduce themselves to the older ones and guess what? Nobody to be found. I did see Illingsworth from Detroit CYDI and Blaksmith from Cold Men Young, but that's about it.

We're very quick to say that the older ones don't respect us and have no interest in even getting to know who we are, yet we don't even try.

Yes, I say we, because I am a part of this new wave as well. My job is to chornicle all of the accomplishments of this group not only for Detroit and the rest of the world, but for the next generation that will be following ours in a few years. However if we continue on the egotistical path that we're on, we will soon enough be forgotten. There is a self-created glass ceiling hanging over Young Detroit as the egos have turned us into a mini-Hollywood full of champagne wishes and caviar dreams.

Of course, I'm not pinning ALL the blame on us, because I do think it will take a bit of reaching on both sides in order to fill this gap in our community. It definitely seems like the older group is sort of on an elite status, unapproachable and definitely not willing to help.

But, I know better. It's a matter of putting aside the ego and humbling yourself to be able to learn from them. It will surprise you just how open and nice many of them are.

I'm not going to type this and act like it's not happening out here, the camaraderie of young and old: I love the fact that Royce Da 5'9 and Lola Damone dropped through The Air Up There, that Ro Spit performs, attends and support young Detroit events, that Quest MCODY let Phresh Heir, Clear Soul Forces, Yung GooD, JFin (and many others) perform at a benefit for his foundation and that Invincible and Finale mentor FowL.

Detroit is a city full of undeniable talent, a diamond in the rough if you will, but talent shouldn't be ignoring other talents. Not everyone will be willing and open to communication, all I'm saying is it has to start somewhere.

Happy Monday.
-AW.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny because I kinda feel the same way as a cat like Mr. Whutupdoe Friday....I don't feel as if I necessarily belong to either crowd because of my age. I'm like in the middle. I simply appreciate good music/people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a few people feel that way but I look at the old v. young by how long they've been around not by age. There are some that are nearly 30, that I would still classify as young. But I'm with you, I appreciate good music and good people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading :-)

    ReplyDelete