June 23, 2010

Red Cup Chronicles - Chuck Good

I've been hearing about this thing, Red Cup Session, for quite sometime now. Take your typical a kickback, toss in live performances and you got yourself the Red Cup Session. What makes this really interesting is the fact that the people performing are "kids", fresh out of high school and Pampers. True, I'm not much older but I was Big Wheel kindergarten pimpin' when some of them came into existence. Anyway, there's this guy by the name of Chuck Good, he's only about 16 years old (I believe he'll be 17 soon) and the reason the session exists.  The Red Cup Summer Session pops off this Friday at the Omega Psi Phi house at Wayne State Univ. In this quick Q & A with Mr. Red Cup we find out  about his upcoming mixtape, Red Cup Chronicles, and what it's like being 16 and in this scene.


Alex Washington (AW): How did you come up with the idea for the Red Cup Sessions?

Chuck Good (CG) : I came up with the sessions basically off the premise that there weren’t really any opportunity out here for young up&coming artists in Michigan, so the sessions give them a night to shine.

AW: What made you get into rapping?

CG: Well, I always did poetry and writing, but that really doesn’t get the same attention that rapping does, so it was really an easy change.

AW How would you describe your rapping style?

CG: I think it’d best be described as like laid-back. Very similar to your smooth cali music like your Dom Kennedys, but still hype and something you can jam to.

AW: What can people expect from your upcoming mixtape Red Cup Chronicles?

CG: People can expect to get to know me, as a person; from how I deal with relationships to having groupies to just chilling out smoking some of the finest. People will pretty much get an introduction to Charles via Chuck Good’s lyrics.

Chuck Good feat Jae Alyse: "Kick It"

AW How is it being 16/17 entering into the Detroit rap scene? Do you think your age will help or hinder you?

CG: It’s interesting to say the least. You know some of the shows are 18 or 21 and up and I have to call in favors and what not to get in. But then again it’s a big advantage because my competition may be 2-3 years older than me and we’re on the same level. I mean I’m only getting better.

AW: Who are some of your influences?

CG: Some of my influences would be Rich Hil, Wiz Khalifa, Curren$y, Dom Kennedy, just name a few.

AW: What's the best advice another local artist has given you?

CG: Be you. Make sure that when you make a song, it feels like people can get to know you by the end of that song. Never seem untouchable to your fan.

AW: What do you plan on doing with the rest of the year?

CG: I really just plan on pushing my name a little more in the state and hopefully do a few college shows; maybe some out of state ones. But most of all, finishing high school and getting my college stuff in.




No comments:

Post a Comment