November 19, 2009

I Do Me - Ro Spit

Ro Spit is a man of many hats. He's one half of one of the most respected sneaker boutiques in Michigan, a father, a husband, a DJ, and a rapper. Ro Spit recently released a musical hybrid called "The Oh S#!t Project" and his single, "Renaissance State of Mind" has been deemed a Detroit anthem by many. While he's technically not from Detroit he still holds the city down well. Ladies and Gentlemen: Ro Spit.

Name: Ro Spit
Role: Renaissance Man
Affiliation: Burn Rubber Sneaker Boutique

Alex Washington (AW): How is Ro Spit different from DJ Phrikshun and Burn Rubber Ro?

Ro Spit (Ro): I'm the same person to the core. All three of those people want to get money and provide for their family—bottom line. Now, the person that is nothing like any of those guys is Roland Coit. I'm just a humble dude that loves to laugh and work hard.

AW: What is the Oh S#!t Project? From what I understand it's not a mixtape but it's not quite an album either.

Ro: The Oh S#!t project fits right in between a mixtape and an album. The reason I didn't want to call it a mixtape is because of the negative stigma that the word "mixtape" has on it. Everybody and their grandma has a mixtape out here in the streets. Another thing is that mixtapes have short shelf lives and I want my music to stand the test of time. It's not a mixtape because I'm rapping over all original beats; even the "Renaissance State Of Mind" track was re-made—that is not the Jay-Z and Alicia Keys version. On the other hand, the project is set up like a mixtape; it's songs on a CD with no real story. My album will tap more into me as a real person—not just dope rhymes and dope beats. This project was to show people that may not be familiar with me as an emcee, that I got bars.

AW: What can people expect from this project?

Ro: Raw beats and raw lyrics, cleverness, slick talk, flow and fresh sh*t.

AW: Who are some of the featured artists on the project and why did you select who you did?

Ro: I have a few features on this project. The most notable is Bun B, and for obvious reasons. He's a legend in the game, well respected and got bars for days. I can't take the credit for that feature though, I gotta give it up to the producer of the track my man Frank The Butcher. He gave me the beat, and said he wanted me and Curt@!ns on a track together; he could hear Bun B on it. He made a call and the rest is history. Big Sean is also on a track, he came through in the clutch, literally. The day before the project was to be turned in, he came to the shop like, "I gotta get on a track man," that was the perfect track for his feature. Of course I got my 101 fam on there, Marv Won and Ron Dance, we all we got and Marv Won is one of my favorite rappers, period. Got my man Stretch Money on there, he's that dude that a lot of "Hip Hop" cats sleep on because he's all over ther radio, but that dude is a monster and will shut a cypher down. Other than that, I have the fabulous, M Bleezy on there twice. Monica Blaire is a star; I love her voice, and she's a beautiful person to just be around. She's like one of the fellas almost, but still a girly girl.

AW: "Renaissance State of Mind" has definitely become an anthem of sorts, did you intend for it to happen that way?

READ MORE



Ro: Kind of, but I didn't really know what to expect. I knew it had the potential to be huge, but I also know how "Detroit" is. I knew some people would not accept the song because I was not born and raised in Detroit. But it's a lot of people that feel my story. I would be on tour in Seattle or Minnesota, do a radio interview, and people would say, "so where are you from"? I would say, "I'm from Pontiac, MI; it's like 20 miles outside of Detroit, blah blah blah. You know, The Silverdome, where the Lions used to play." The next words out of their mouths would be..."So, growing up in Detroit..." When we travel for these tradeshows, we're from Detroit, that's what they care about, and that's what we represent. So, it just is what it is. Once I got past that, I was like I gotta flip it, because I have to go back to Pontiac and I gotta rep home. I went in, I knew the masses would love it just because of the hook and that's all most people would hear. But on the low, honestly, my first thoughts were that once Detroit radio caught on to it, it would replace "Empire State of Mind." That's still up in the air. I got faith, but I won't hold my breath though.

AW: How did Acapulco Gold end up sponsoring this project?

Ro: We went out to the Magic Tradeshow in Vegas this year and had every intention on talking to Crooks & Castles about sponsoring the project. When we got to Vegas, Rick said, "Yo, let's not put a cap on our options. It's a million brands out here for us to build with." So, I made a couple copies of the "Pre-Project" and went to a couple meetings with some other clothing lines; on the first day we had a meeting with AG. I hit them with a CD and they put it in the CD player right there on the spot. We kicked it about the clothes and our orders, then the whole conversation turned to music and how wack sh*t is nowadays. My man Geoff was like, I haven't taken the CD out, that's a good thing. After that, I really didn't even pursue anybody else. Crazy thing, like 2 weeks later, Geoff sent us an e-mail saying that he still hadn't taken the CD out yet, and they have been playing it at the offices on repeat. Rick "The Mogul" Williams made a call and now we have Burn Rubber & Acapulco Gold presents...

AW: What do you think hip-hop is lacking right now, and what are you doing to not contribute to this problem?

Ro: I really don't think hip hop is lacking personality; if anything it's originality. People get caught up in trying to make a song for the radio, or a dance track, or a female track. The thing is, do you; once you master what you do, people will have to holla at you for that sound. Great hip hop is out there, especially in Detroit: Guilty Simpson, Black Milk, Marv Won, One.Be.Lo, Royce 5'9", Stretch Money, Slum etc. Even outside of Detroit, The Clipse, G.O.O.D. Music, Jay-Z, Drake, Nickelus F, Nipsey Hustle, Pac Div, & Little Brother all go ham. It's there, right under your nose, you don't even really gotta look for it. People just love to hate for some reason. I just do me to the best of my ability and hope people understand it. I think I'm a good judge of music, so I know when I do something sub-par—it's not often, hardly ever, but still.

AW: After the project is released, what's next for Ro Spit?

Ro: After the project is released, it's shows, interviews, features, etc. I wouldn't change that for the world cause that fuels my passion. It's a lot because Team Ro Spit goes über hard. Once we lock down home, the next move is hitting the road and just build, build, build. My next couple projects in the works are an EP with my mans 14KT of AML/A-Side Worldwide; that project is about seventy percent done. After that is my official first solo album, entirely produced by my man Koen Beats/Blocnotes from the Netherlands; that's about seventy-five percent done. That's the album that will let people know more about who I am as a real person and my real thoughts on life and the community as a whole.

TO DOWNLOAD "The Oh S#!t Project" CLICK here.

Want More Ro?
Catch him on Twitter - OhShitRoSpit
Check out his web site - www.rospit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment