September 11, 2009

Without Me - Eminem

Guess who's back....

back again....

Alex's back....

tell a friend...



Hola!
It's been roughly 3 weeks to a month since my last post and I first must say thanks to those who have STILL been checking out the blog.
Also, special shoutout to those who asked where my posts have been, that is the coolest thing ever. Knowing that people actually read/value what I have to say is kind of humbling (in a weird way).
So where have I been?
Well, Summer has ended and school has began, and for the past couple of weeks I've been getting back into the university life. It was a weird transition (even weirder/stranger/more uncomfortable than freshman year) but it's good to be back.
ANYWAY, I realized I never did my summer recap, and I actually had one all written up nicely but I decided to change it up after reading Cliff's 5:03 today (mine was similar to his; it was everything I learned).


Summer.

One Word, 3 months, life-changing, epiphany.

That pretty much sums up summer 2009 for me. I have been taking "baby steps" into the Detroit entertainment scene. The weirdest thing about it is as much as I have been watching other people, people have been watching me.

I don't mean that in a "creepy, stalker, 'Marvin' from Player's Club" kind of way. There are so many talented people in the city, who I truly admire from Rick and Ro of Burn Rubber, Cliff, Slapz, DJ Mo Beatz, James over at DSE, Dante Marshall, Tommey Walker, the list goes on for a while.

At the same time there are people who give ME, props and kudos on my writing and I don't think many realize how much it actually means to me. (mushy, I know, lol).

Over the summer I:

-Fell in love with hip-hop all over again.

-Interviewed a Sony/J Records musician from Southfield who is currently filming his music video.

-Went to Burn Rubber, DSE @ Grand, and Spectacles (granted went each place once, but I will go more I promise)

-Fell in love with Detroit and what it had to offer

- Was introduced to Detroit hip-hop (who by the way have talent beyond the Tone Tone/K Deezy I was used to)

- Officially made a name for myself as a blogger with the Fli Pelican v. Juan Neal (not really versus but you get it) series..

- Think I may have possibly burned future bridges with that series (though I never took sides and have no hard feelings against the Pelicans).

- Ended my sophomore year with a 3.5 GPA (which is double and half where I was after freshman year).

-Wrote and contributed to two web sites (beside this blog)

-Had my first 'angry rapper mad at me because I didn't post his song and try to slander me' incident, which pretty much messed him up big time with other bloggers and rappers. (sorry, but it did).

That sums it up, lol those were the highlights beside meeting the most awesomest (made up word, yes?) people ever and appreciating the ones that were already in my corner.

This summer has taught me two important lessons:

1) Patience and practice are the two key components of success. I know everyone's definition of success varies, but NOTHING happens overnight and practice makes perfect. I was born to be a writer (I'm quite sure of it, lol) just like Kobe was born to be a NBA superstar, Oprah was born to be a billionaire, and Michael Jackson was born to entertain 5 generations of people. However, no one would have gotten anything done if they didn't practice their craft and hone their skill.

2) Acquaintances are not friends. (I feel there's no explanation needed for that one).

All in all, I had a fantastic summer in the city. I guess some people would say I found myself after losing a big part of me for a minute.

Ending this with: Expect dope things from me...No clothing lines, no mixtapes (well maybe I'll do an A Side mix but we'll see), no production...People can do dope things without rapping, dj-ing, or singing....and I shall.

Happy Friday

<3 Alex W.

No comments:

Post a Comment